Medical Devices : biomechanics, design and regulation
The course is a continuation of the Orthopaeidc Biomechanics course and addresses the analysis and the design of orthopaedic implants that are used to repair the skeletal system when it is damaged. Moreover, the certification of medical devices will be also addressed in this course.
The course is subdivided in the following parts:
1. Biomaterials and Biocompatibility
2. Bone-Implant Systems: Materials, Fracture Fixation Devices, Joint Replacements and Design of Bone-Implant Systems
3. Fracture Fixation Devices: Fracture Repair, Mechanics of Intramedullary Rods, Bone Plates, External Fixators and bone screws.
4. Total Hip Replacements: Kinematics and Loads, Femoral Stems, Stresses in the bone, design of total hip replacement
5. Total Knee Replacements: Function, Structure and design of knee arthroplasty
6. Wear in Orthopaedic Devices: wear models, wear in THA, wear in TKA, wear measurement and Simulation
7. Other prosthesis: Shoulder and Ankle Prosthesis
8. Certification of Medical Devices
9. Follow-Up analysis of medical design: clinical Follow-Up, Gait Analysis, Fluoroscopy